Leinstrand church is in Klett on Trondheim’s peninsular.  It is the southernmost church in Trondheim and is set in the hills near a natural water and bird sanctuary.  This church was completed in 1673 by builder Ole Jonsen Hindrum.  Its original name was Nypen church as it was built for the Nypen farm community.   Its beginning is shrouded in controversy as the farm owners, Ole and Lisbeth Nypen, were suspected of witchcraft and were sentenced to death in 1670.  There own minister testified against them.  This was the second last witchcraft case in Norway.

The church has had many restorations and was bought by the townsfolk in 1779.

Below is a view of the lower Klett area.

 

Related posts: